Discover the enchanting allure of Dublin during the festive season!
As the city adorns itself in twinkling lights and exudes a warm, holiday glow, visiting Dublin at Christmas is an experience like no other. From the charming streets illuminated with decorations to the lively Christmas stalls, this city becomes a winter wonderland filled with merriment and cheer. Find out below why Dublin City is the perfect destination to capture the spirit of Christmas. Whether you’re drawn to the iconic landmarks bathed in festive lights or eager to partake in the city’s unique traditions, Dublin promises an unforgettable holiday experience. Get ready to unwrap the magic of Christmas in the heart of Ireland!
Here are the seven best things to do in and around Dublin for Christmas:
1. Christmas at Celtic Nights: Step into the holiday season with a magical evening at the Celtic Nights Christmas Show, an unforgettable celebration of all things Irish. This enchanting event offers a unique and immersive experience, combining mouthwatering food, delightful drinks, and world-class entertainment all within one spectacular venue in Dublin! The Celtic Nights Christmas Show is the perfect way to bring family, friends, and loved ones together during the holiday season. Whether you’re a local or a visitor to Dublin, this event offers a truly unique and authentic Irish Christmas experience, making it an ideal choice for creating cherished memories and immersing yourself in the festive spirit. To book, contact The Celtic Nights ticket office by calling 01 804 9100 or book directly here.
2. Luggwoods Christmas Experience: Step into the enchanting world of Luggwoods this Christmas, and experience the magic of Christmas, nestled in the beautiful Dublin Mountains. An outdoor Christmas Family Experience awaits, where children can share their wishes in Santa’s Grotto, families can enjoy live entertainment, participate in Christmas workshops, indulge in seasonal refreshments, explore a Christmas market, and immerse themselves in festive decorations. It promises to be a joyous occasion for all, spreading the magic and cheer of the holiday season. For the most up-to-date information, be sure to check The Luggwoods official website.
(Wild Lights, 2022)
3. Wild Lights at Dublin Zoo: Each winter, Dublin Zoo hosts the enchanting and immersive Wild Lights at Dublin Zoo, inviting visitors to embark on a trail that winds through illuminated woodland scenes that correspond to the theme of the year. Past themes have included “Stories, Myths, and Legends!”, “Around the World,” and “Ocean of Light!”. Wild Lights typically spans from November through January, with November hours available on weekends and December/January hours extended to seven days a week. Wild Lights is a family-friendly event, making it an ideal outing for people of all ages, from children to adults. For more information regarding tickets, pricing, and availability, visit www.dublinzoo.ie/wildlights.
(Grafton Street, 2022)
4. Christmas Shopping: Dublin City Center boasts an array of wonderful shopping districts, and two prominent options for your Christmas gift hunting are Grafton Street and Henry Street. Grafton Street stands out as a premier shopping destination, featuring a wealth of high-end boutiques, renowned international brands, and the likes of Brown Thomas department store. Come Christmas, the street transforms with enchanting lights and festive decorations!
Henry Street, on the other hand, serves as another bustling shopping haven in Dublin, celebrated for its diverse selection of stores and department stores like Arnotts. Here, you can discover everything from fashion to electronics, all while being treated to the mesmerizing illumination that graces the street throughout the holiday season!
5. See A Christmas Pantomime ‘Olly, Polly and The Magic Lamp’: What better way to get into the festive spirit by going to to see a Christmas Pantomime! Every year, The 3Olympia Theatre run a Christmas Pantomime in the lead up to Christmas. This year, their production is Olly, Polly and The Magic Lamp. Olly, Polly and The Magic Lamp is a whimsical and heartwarming tale that blends the classic elements of a pantomime with a unique and modern twist. Join Olly and Polly, the lovable protagonists, as they set out on an extraordinary adventure fueled by friendship, courage, and, of course, a touch of magic from a mystical lamp. With a combination of dazzling performances, catchy tunes, and side-splitting humor, this pantomime is sure to captivate both the young and the young at heart. For more information regarding showtimes and tickets, please visit www.3olympia.ie.
6. Ice Skating: Although there are numerous ice skating rinks in and around Dublin City during the festive season, we would have to recommend Dundrum on Ice. Dundrum on Ice is situated in the heart of Dundrum town, providing a convenient and festive location for those travelling from Dublin City or elsewhere! It is easily accessible by Dublin Bus or The LUAS. Dundrum on Ice boasts a well-maintained ice skating rink suitable for individuals, families, and groups. The facility is equipped with modern amenities to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all ice skaters! For more information regarding pricing and tickets, please visit www.dundrumonice.ie.
7. The 12 Pubs of Christmas: Dublin City is the perfect setting for embracing the beloved tradition of “The 12 Pubs of Christmas.” This festive Dublin ritual entails navigating through 12 different pubs in a single night, spreading holiday joy and merriment throughout the city. Dublin is teeming with pubs, making it an ideal locale for such a celebration!
Among the plethora of options, we recommend including iconic establishments like The Stag’s Head, Kehoes, Bruxelles, Grand Central, The Gin Palace, and The Quay’s in your pub-hopping adventure. Each pub brings its own unique charm to the table, catering to various preferences and creating a vibrant tapestry of experiences!
Whether you’re drawn to the historical allure of The Stag’s Head, the traditional ambiance of Kehoes, the lively atmosphere of Bruxelles, the modern comforts of Grand Central, the gin-centric delights at The Gin Palace, or the scenic backdrop of The Quay’s, these Dublin pubs collectively offer a diverse array of festive options. Celebrate the season in style with friends and fellow revelers, immersing yourself in the spirited ambiance of Dublin’s renowned pub culture.
Remember to check local event listings closer to Christmas, as the availability of specific events and activities may vary closer to the time. We hope you have a very merry Christmas!